What to Ask in the Opt-in Form
As the purpose of the actual opt-in form is to obtain the minimum of information that you will need to segment and personalize your email list, two general rules work here:
- Don’t ask too much, and
- Don’t ask too little.
Required opt-in fields:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Confirm email address (this additional box requires the subscribers to re-enter their email addresses and helps minimize invalid addresses due to input errors)
- Secondary email address (it helps if your subscriber changes the email address; when the primary address bounces you can send a follow-up email to the secondary address)
- Frequency (you can let the subscribers choose how often they wish to receive emails, i.e., daily, weekly, monthly)
- Demographics (gender, age, location, etc.)
- Interests/Preferences (topic, rock vs. jazz, etc. if applicable)
- Format preference (HTML or Text).
Table of contents | Page list for this chapter | Next page